Wednesday, May 16, 2007

In between projects

I am in the relaxing?? period of being in between projects. The next project I will be working on is the migration of two of our SQL 2000 systems over to W2003 and SQL2005. That should be fun. Until that gets going I am brushing up on all the new technologies that are arround or soon coming out, such as LINQ, Entity Framework, VS Orcas and Longhorn (Windows Server 2008). I wonder when that's being released??

There are a few other mini projects I will be working on to get my development practises up to scratch. I work in a small IT dept and as you can proberbly guess some things we just don't do (yet). I have already implemented Source Safe 2005 and that is working out realy good. We are soon to implement a full change request/bug tracking system. I have also started using fxCop to get all code to a certain standard. The department manager is also implementing full project management using PRINCE2 techniques, so that will hopefully also improve things.

So like I said, relaxing times. Only 5 books on my current reading list:-

Sams - Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Integration Services

Apress - Beginning SQL Server 2005 for Developers From Novice to Professional

MS Press - MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Upgrading Your Certification to Microsoft Windows Server 2003

Syngress - Planning, Implementing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment for an MCSE Certified on Windows 2000

Addison Wesley - Hitchhikers Guide to Visual Studio and SQL Server

No comments: